Old Fashion Sweet Zucchini Relish
This recipe has been in the family for ever and a day..you will find all kinds of similar recipes but mine has almost half as much sugar as the majority of recipes I have seen.
12 cups unpeeled zucchini (sliced,shredded,chopped)
4 cups chopped onion
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
5 tablespoons canning salt
3.5 cups white sugar
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg + a pinch
3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric + a pinch
1 1/2 teaspoons celery seed
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Place the zucchini and onion in a large, non-metal bowl, and put salt over top. Evenly mix the salt throughout the zucchini. Cover, refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, drain zucchini in colander, and rinse well. Squeeze excess water and set aside. Place the red/green bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, and cornstarch into a large pot. Add nutmeg, turmeric, celery seed and pepper. Stir to combine, then add the drained zucchini. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer 30 minutes.
- Have jars, sterilized – 7 one-pint jars and lids to hold relish. Fill jars, making sure there are no spaces or air pockets. Fill jars all the way to top. Screw on lids.
- Place a rack in the bottom of a large stockpot and fill halfway with boiling water. Carefully lower jars into pot. Leave a 2 inch space between jars. Pour in more boiling water if necessary, until tops of jars are covered by 2 inches of water. Bring water to a full boil, then cover and process for 30 minutes.
- Remove jars from pot , until cool. Once cool, press top of each lid with finger, ensuring that seal is tight (lid does not move up or down at all)